Health and Education Issues

It is not uncommon for some parents to have a strong opinion, or concern, about issues regarding their child's education or health that perhaps isn't shared by the child's other parent. Usually terms can be negotiated out of court, but in extreme cases you may wish to ask the court to make a Specific Issue order under s8 of the Children Act 1989.

These Specific Issue court orders are not made lightly and are usually only granted in circumstances where the child's welfare is at stake - so should only be sought if mediation fails and there is no other alternative.

In some cases, you may wish to ask the court to set out guidelines regulating which school your child attends, or alternatively prohibit the other parent from moving your child from his or her current school. In more serious situations, for example if both parents cannot come to an agreement regarding medical treatment that is being suggested for their child, a Specific Issue order can be sought to ask the court to rule in favour of the child's welfare.

Legal advice for parents

At Forbes solicitors, our friendly team of Family Law solicitors are on hand to advise you, and your family, throughout the mediation process and negotiate with the other parent. If the issue in question cannot be resolved by mediation, and you wish to move to more formal proceedings, our expert team are here to help. To speak to our team about any aspect of family law, contact Forbes today on 0800 689 1058

15 Apr 2018



Divorce and Finances

Everybody's experience when divorcing is different. It is impossible to compare a friend or relative's divorce…

Read the article

Make an enquiry