Parental Responsibility Orders

Parental Responsibility Orders are directed to allow people to make parental decisions for a child. So, for instance, if you are a father and are not married to or living with your child's mother, and your name is not on the child's birth certificate you may not have a legal right to make important decisions concerning their welfare, health or education.

If you want to have this right, the court can issue a Parental Responsibility Order, which will allow you to make decisions as well as being kept informed about your child's health, welfare and education. At Forbes, our team of Family Law Solicitors can help you gain parental responsibility of a child, as well as advise you on the circumstances in which you may need a Parental Responsibility Order.

Parental Responsibility Agreements

If you and your child's other parent can agree that you should have parental responsibility, a solicitor can help you to draw up a document known as a Parental Responsibility Agreement, which means you would not need to attend court. Both parents are required to sign and this needs to be witnessed by a Magistrate or an Officer of the Court before being sent to the Principal Registry of the High Court, where it will be registered to make it an effective agreement.

When do you need a Parental Responsibility Order?

Those with a Child Arrangements Order stating that the child lives with them automatically have parental responsibility, so a step-parent or other relative who is granted a Child Arrangements Order stating that the child lives with them will also have parental responsibility. Similarly, if you were married to your partner at the time of your child's birth, you will automatically have parental responsibility. More than one person can have parental responsibility for a child.

If you are a father who was not married to your child's mother but you are named on the birth certificate, you will have automatic parental responsibility under the Adoption and Children Act 2002. If you were unmarried but named on the birth certificate before this Act was passed, you will not automatically have parental responsibility.

Forbes Solicitors have years of experience in helping parents reach Parental Responsibility Agreements or acquire Parental Responsibility Orders. If you are seeking to take parental responsibility of a child, contact us today on 0800 689 1058 or send us an online enquiry.

15 Apr 2018



Divorce and Finances

Everybody's experience when divorcing is different. It is impossible to compare a friend or relative's divorce…

Read the article

Make an enquiry