29 November, 2019
The HSE has issued a safety warning to schools regarding the use of laptop computer charging trolleys.
A HSE investigation into an incident involving a laptop charging trolley found that when a 3-pin plug supplying the trolley was removed from the supply socket there was sufficient stored electric charge on the pins of the plug to give the user an electric shock.
In addition, the HSE reports that some trolleys have been identified that have two supply cables contrary to good electrical engineering practice, inadequate plug and cable storage facilities and unsuitable earth terminations.
The HSE has confirmed that not all trolleys are necessarily dangerous but recommends that schools who use such trolleys should take the following precautions: