15 September, 2009
A local authority was found to be negligent after a woman developed mesothelioma after it was proven that it had developed as a result of exposure to asbestos fibres when she had been a pupil at the Defendant's secondary school during the 1970s.
She had been a pupil at the school from 1972 until 1979, during which time she had come into contact with asbestos dust from ceiling tiles situated in the school. This greatly increased the chance of her contracting mesothelioma later in life.
The Court agreed that the ceiling tiles in the school had contained asbestos dust and that as a pupil she had come into contact with those fibres and as a result this had been the cause of her mesothelioma.
She was alerted to the possibility that her time at the school had caused the development of the disease after a newspaper article informed the findings of asbestos in the school. In 2002 a study of the ceiling tiles found traces of amosite, also known as brown asbestos.
Most claims have to be brought within 3 years of the date of the incident or within 3 years of the date the individual new or ought to have known of the incident or its effects. Even though the individual in this case suffered the injury many years ago she wasn't too late because his condition had only developed recently.
Forbes' Personal Injury solicitors have handled a number of cases such as this where employees have contracted asbestosis as a result of being exposes to fibres in the course of their employment.
We operate on a no win, no fee basis and have solicitors who are members of the Law Society Personal Injury Panel and the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.