Forbes Landlord Assist

Our dedicated team are here to support you in ensuring that you meet all of your legal obligations, protecting your business, landlords and tenants.

More about Forbes Landlord Assist

Forbes Solicitors' landlord solicitors provide a comprehensive legal service to landlords called Landlord Complete, covering all aspects of the landlord-tenant relationship. Our landlord solicitors can assist with a range of issues, including tenancy agreements, tenant evictions, rent arrears, and possession claims. Our solicitors for landlords understand the importance of protecting your investment and work closely with our clients to ensure that their interests are safeguarded.

What is Landlord Law

What is Landlord Law

Landlord and Tenant law is a system of laws and regulations that govern the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in their rental agreement. These laws protect tenants from unfair or illegal practices and ensure that landlords fulfil their obligations to tenants. Landlord and Tenant law covers topics such as security deposits, notice periods, repairs, leases, tenant rights to privacy, and more.

We understand that problem tenants cause huge disruption to a landlords business; including disputes with lost rental income and delays in being able to re-let property. We therefore recognise that when faced with such difficult circumstances, swift action needs to be taken to mitigate that disruption and loss, whilst ensuring the process is conducted both fairly and legally.Our Forbes Landlord Assist service includes:

  • Handling the eviction process from start to finish

  • Court representation

  • Arranging for enforcement

  • Debt recovery

  • Advising on new tenancy agreements

We are also able to investigate whether you may have legal costs funding as part of your insurance policies on request.

Why choose our landlord solicitors?

Why choose our landlord solicitors?

If you find yourself in need of a landlord solicitors, our team are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services to landlords across the UK. With years of experience in the industry, we have a deep understanding of the complexities of landlord-tenant law and can provide tailored advice to meet your specific needs. We pride ourselves on our professionalism, attention to detail, and commitment to achieving the best possible outcome for our clients. Whether you need help with a tenancy agreement, eviction proceedings, or any other legal matter, our team is here to help. Choose us for reliable, expert legal support that you can trust.

Who do our landlord solicitors help?

Our landlord solicitors help landlords with legal issues related to their properties, such as drafting tenancy agreements, handling disputes with tenants, and evicting tenants if necessary.

How can our landlord lawyers help?

Our landlord lawyers can assist with a variety of legal issues related to rental properties, including drafting and reviewing lease agreements, resolving disputes with tenants, evictions, and compliance with local and state landlord-tenant laws. We can also provide guidance on property management and help protect your rights as a landlord. Contact us today to discuss your specific needs and how we can help.

Stay informed - We have our finger on the pulse when it comes to the latest changes in landlord legislation. Please head over to our news area for the latest updates.

Amanda was very helpful, explaining all the stages we needed to go through. She also set my expectations, anticipating how things might proceed, not in my favour. She was very pleasant to deal with, both verbally and via email.


Amanda’s advice was clear, concise and effective


Additional Information

Solicitors for landlords

Our solicitors for landlords are here to help you deal with any number of legal issues when it comes to letting out a property. We are experts in our field, and our landlord lawyer led team are here to advise you. Whether your property is located in the North of England or in another part of England and Wales, we can help private landlords, corporate landlord and letting agents deal with drafting tenancy agreements, evictions and pursuing rental arrears. We offer fixed-fees for straight forward undisputed claims and if your claim is disputed, we offer a competitive and clear hourly rate. Our solicitors for landlords are here to support you and ensure all your legal obligations are met, so your investment is protected. Contact us today on 0800 689 0831.

Section 21

Under Section 21, you can serve 'notice of possession' to the tenant. This means you can take back the property at the end of a fixed-term, or trigger the break clause if you have one. Under this section, you do not have to give a reason to claim back your property and the tenant does not have to do something wrong. For a Section 21 notice, for possession to be successful and not be disputed, it has to be served correctly giving at least two months' notice and we recommend that as a landlord, you should be accommodating and reasonable. It is possible for a Section 21 to be disputed if the dates to vacate are incorrect, or the tenant can prove they have been harassed to leave the property.It is worth noting that if a tenant has a legitimate concern about the maintenance of the property that has not been dealt with and the tenant refers the issue to the local housing authority, then a Section 21 notice served after the complaint will be invalid. Also, if the landlord failed to give the tenant at the start of the tenancy a gas safety certificate, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) or a 'How to rent' guide, then any Section 21 notice served is invalid.

Section 8

Section 8 is an eviction notice and is set out in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988. To use this notice, you have to have grounds for eviction, which include failure to pay the rent, causing a nuisance, damaging the property in some way or breaching the tenancy in some way. If your tenant disputes the eviction notice, then it may go to court and you will need to provide evidence for why you wish to evict the tenant.Here are some tips and advice on serving a Section 8 tenancy:It is important to note that a Section 8 is not a guaranteed route to eviction as the tenant can choose to ignore it and if it does go to court, the judge may not find in your favour especially if the tenant has fixed the issue that you used to seek the eviction.If the tenancy is coming close to the end or if there is a break clause, then the best approach might be a Section 21 notice as you do not have to give a reason for wanting to take possession of the property.It is always recommended to come to a mutual agreement with your tenant regarding surrendering the property.If you tenant refuses to leave after the order of possession as expired, then you may need to instruct the County Court Bailiff to evict them, which can take more than a month. If this is the case, we will advise you on the best course of action and ensure everything is legal and above board, so that you are protected.

Landlord solicitors Manchester

Our landlord solicitors in Manchester are experts when it comes to the North of England property market. Manchester, in particular, has been identified as a buy-to-let hotspot by HSBC. We offer a number of services including dealing with tenancy agreements, tenant evictions and court procedures. Our expert landlord solicitors are available to give you expert legal advice on any legal issues you may have when it comes to buy to let. Our Landlord Complete service offers landlords and letting agents a comprehensive service that is value for money. Contact us today on 0800 689 0831.Our team of specialist Landlord Solicitors provides legal services and support to clients across the country. With offices in Blackburn, Accrington, Salford, Preston, Manchester, Leeds, and London, we are easily accessible. Contact us today to speak with our team.

Forbes Landlord Assist FAQs

What is the law for evicting tenants?

In England and Wales, if you wish to evict your tenants then you will need to either serve a Section 21 notice or a Section 8 notice. It is possible to serve both notices at the same time and court proceedings can be issued on one, or both.

How to get rent arrears from a tenant?

Not having your rent paid can lead to all sorts of issues, whether you are a private landlord or a corporate landlord. While it may seem difficult to claim for rent arrears, there are several legal options open to you. We recommend that if a payment is late for the first time, then give your tenant the benefit of the doubt. If after a few days, the payment has not been made and you have not heard from the tenants, then make a polite enquiry. If your enquiry does not result in rent payment, then we would recommend:

  • Sending a late rent notice - we would always recommend trying to come to an agreement with your tenant. For example, you could agree on a repayment plan. If sending the first late rent notice did not resolve the matter, then send another letter a week after the first and then if needed another after a week. In your last letter, you should state that if the outstanding rent is not paid, then you may take legal action such as gaining possession of the property.

  • Apply to the court for possession of your property - this can only be done after the tenant is two months in arrears. Depending on the circumstances, you can use Section 8 or Section 21 notices - or both. Our expert landlord and tenant solicitors can advise you on the best course of action.

If you need expert advice on pursuing rent arrears or evicting tenants, then contact us on 0800 689 0831. We work closely with our debt recovery team at Forbes Collect to ensure we recover your outstanding rent quickly.

How much will it cost me?

We operate a fixed fee service for un-defended and non-disputed claims. If your claim is defended then we offer a competitive hourly rate.

What happens if the tenant refuses to leave my property?

Once you have served the correct notice, if your tenant continues to refuse to vacate the property, then the next step will be issuing court proceedings to seek an order for possession.

Can I just change the locks if my tenant owes me money?

No. It is a criminal offence to unlawfully evict a tenant without a court order obtained thought court proceedings for possession. If a landlord unlawfully evicts a tenant, the landlord could be liable for a prison sentence, a fine and the tenant being reinstated to the premises.

How long will it take to get back possession?

There is not set or guaranteed timeframe. How long the process takes varies depending on which procedure is being used, whether the claim is defended, the court's own resources and availability, and whether or not the tenant leaves the property when they are ordered to by a court.s. 21 notices must be a minim of 2 months long whereas s.8 notices based on rent arrears are a minimum of 2 weeks.We estimate that for undefended court proceedings, a s.21 claim would result in a court order approximately 6 to 8 weeks from the date of issue of the claim. A s.8 claim typically results in a court order approximately 10 to 12 weeks from the date of issue of the claim, mainly because this process involves a court hearing.Beyond this, if the tenant fails to vacate in accordance with the court order, and a court bailiff needs to be appointed, the process of actually obtaining possession will take longer.

Will I have to attend court?

If the claim is not defended, then it is unlikely you will have to attend court as we will represent you. However, if the claim is defended, then the landlord may need to attend. We will advise you at each step of the way so that you know where to be and what will be expected of you at a hearing.

Do you only represent landlords in the north of England?

No. We handle possession claims relating to properties located throughout England and Wales.

How can a landlord solicitor help me with tenancy agreements?

A landlord solicitor can help you with tenancy agreements by ensuring that the agreement complies with UK law, includes all necessary terms and conditions, and protects your rights as a landlord. They can also advise you on any potential legal issues that may arise during the tenancy and help you resolve disputes with tenants.

Can a landlord solicitor assist with rent arrears recovery?

Yes, a landlord solicitor can assist with rent arrears recovery. They can provide legal advice and guidance on the appropriate steps to take, such as issuing a notice seeking possession or pursuing court action. They can also negotiate with tenants on behalf of the landlord to reach a settlement or payment plan.

What should I do if a tenant is breaching the terms of the tenancy agreement?

If a tenant is breaching the terms of the tenancy agreement, the landlord should first try to resolve the issue through communication with the tenant. If this does not work, the landlord can serve a written notice to the tenant, giving them a reasonable amount of time to rectify the breach. If the breach is not rectified, the landlord can apply to the court for possession of the property. It is important to follow the correct legal procedures to avoid any potential legal issues.

Our dedicated Forbes Landlord Assist team

Georgina Kenny.jpg

Senior Associate, Head of Department, Property Litigation

Georgina Kenny

Amanda Leach.jpg

Paralegal, Property Litigation

Amanda Leach

Related News & Insights

Landlord Problems: What do I do if a Tenant leaves goods in a property at lease end?

Insights Forbes Landlord A... 5 mins read

Landlord Problems: What do I do if a Tenant leaves goods in a property at lease end?

Contact Us

If you have an enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

0800 689 0831 - Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:00

Request a call back

By submitting your enquiry you agree that Forbes can contact you.

© 2024 Forbes Solicitors is the trading name of Forbes Solicitors LLP Offices in Preston, Manchester, Salford, Blackburn, Blackpool, London and Leeds UK Main Office: Rutherford House, 4 Wellington Street (St Johns), Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 8DD • Vat No: 174 394 344 Forbes Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 816356). Details of the SRA’s Standards and Regulations can be found here.

This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.