Children Law Solicitors

Our specialist children law solicitors can offer expert legal advice to parents, guardians, grandparents and other family members with all aspects of children law. We offer services on both a tailored and fixed fee services.

More about Children Law

Our child law solicitors understand that the welfare and happiness of your children is your top priority. Whether you are going through a separation, divorce or dealing with other issues involving your children, our child solicitors are here to provide specialist legal guidance and support. Our child law solicitors work closely with our clients to understand their individual needs and to achieve the best possible outcome for them and their children.

At Forbes Solicitors, we offer a number of legal services when it comes to child law. Our experienced child law solicitors, who are recommended in the Legal 500, can advise on the following:

  • Child Arrangement Orders

  • Child Maintenance Agreements

  • Child abduction

  • Emergency Protection Orders

  • Parenting Agreements

  • Grandparents Rights

  • Specific issue orders in relation to health and education

  • Local authority childcare proceedings

  • Parental Responsibility Orders

Our children law solicitors can help any family member, whether you are a parent, grandparent, guardian or another family member or friend. We cover a wide range of issues and can offer expert advice on some of the most difficult cases. We're dedicated to ensuring you get the end result that is best for your family and can support you throughout this difficult time when dealing with a minor's circumstances.

Our Children Solicitors are members of the Children's Panel and have been recommended in the Legal 500. As experts in their field, our lawyers can give you tailored child legal advice on an array of issues that fall under child law and the Children Act 2004.

Children law solicitors: Divorce

Children law solicitors: Divorce

Often, disputes arise within families regarding where children should live; for example, upon their parents separating. Or, whether the children should have arrangements with the parent that they don't live with. A family disruption can have a huge impact on the wellbeing of a child, so it's important that these situations are handled professionally and with care. Forbes Solicitors have a dedicated team of specialist child law solicitors who can help you get the result you're looking for. When it comes to divorce proceedings, our expert solicitors can help with:

  • Child Arrangements

  • Parenting Arrangements

  • Child abduction

  • Child Maintenance Agreements

  • Mediation

We can also deal with specific issue orders that generally relate to education or health. In many situations, legal cases can be resolved without the need for Court Proceedings and at Forbes Solicitors we will make every effort to do so. We are always mindful of the fact that cases involving children are particularly sensitive and complex. We want to do what's right for all parties involved, especially when the wellbeing of a child is at stake.

At Forbes, our Family, Divorce and Children Law Solicitors are here to help you in any way that we can. Whether you simply require some straightforward child legal advice, a document or letter to be sent or, if necessary, Court Proceedings can be issued.

Do I need a Child Law Solicitor?

Do I need a Child Law Solicitor?

If you are dealing with legal issues related to children, such as child arrangements, adoption, or child protection, it is recommended to seek the advice and representation of a qualified Child Law Solicitor. They can provide expert guidance and support throughout the legal process and ensure that your rights and the best interests of the child are protected.

When getting divorced if there are children involved, it is always advisable to get the advice of a Child Law Solicitor. While we would always advocate that it's best if the parents can agree on things such as living arrangements between themselves, sometimes this isn't possible, and you may need the help of a mediator or the courts to come to an agreement. Even if you do come to an agreement between yourselves, it is also advisable to get legal advice and to have any arrangements formalised if needed. Our solicitors are highly experienced when it comes to child family law and have an extensive network of mediators, counsellors and other experts who can help make this difficult road smoother.

How much does a Child Law Solicitor cost?

How much does a Child Law Solicitor cost?

The cost of a Child Law Solicitor depends on the circumstances of your case, what you need from that solicitor and whether you will need to attend Court. If Court Proceedings or Court documents are needed, then you may need to pay Court fees as well as solicitor fees. At Forbes Solicitors, we have both a bespoke service and a fixed fee service for straightforward child law cases. We will also take on Legal Aid cases.

What is a Child Arrangement Order and how are they agreed?

What is a Child Arrangement Order and how are they agreed?

A Child Arrangement Order is a legal document that sets out where a child will live and who they will have contact with. It is agreed through negotiation between the parents or through a court hearing. The order can be made by a court if the parents cannot agree on the arrangements for their child. The order can also include other details such as who will make important decisions about the child's upbringing. Every child arrangement order is different, and the basis of any decision starts with what is best for the child rather than for the parents.

What is child abduction and what can be done if my child is abducted?

Child abduction is the act of taking a child away from their parent or guardian without their consent. If your child is abducted, you should immediately report it to the police and provide them with as much information as possible about the abductor and the child. The police will then issue an alert and begin a search for the child. Child abduction is a criminal offence and can result in imprisonment.

Grandparents Rights

Grandparents Rights

If you have lost touch with a grandchild or are worried you may lose touch with one due to a relationship breakdown or the death of your child, then it is possible for you to apply for a Child Arrangements Order. While grandparents do not have automatic rights under law to have arrangements with grandchildren, the court may consider granting the right to obtain a Child Arrangements Order, if arrangements will be beneficial to the child's wellbeing and won't have a negative effect on family relationships.

Local authority child care proceedings

Local authority child care proceedings

Our Child Solicitors are here to help if you are faced with local authority child care proceedings. Typically, there can be Legal Aid available for these cases and our specialist solicitors can help you understand the process and get the best possible outcome for your situation. Our solicitors can offer child law advice and ensure that your child's best interests are the priority throughout the case.

If you need child law advice then contact our expert team of child law solicitors today on 0800 689 1058.

Children Law FAQs

Can child arrangements be modified?

Yes, child arrangements can be modified. However, the court will only consider a modification if there has been a significant change in circumstances since the original order was made. The court will always prioritise the best interests of the child when making any modifications to child arrangements.

What is a parenting plan and why is it important?

A parenting plan is a written agreement between parents that outlines how they will share the responsibilities of raising their children after separation or divorce. It is important because it helps to establish clear expectations and guidelines for both parents, reduces conflict and confusion, and prioritises the best interests of the children. parenting plans are not legally binding, but they can be used as evidence in court proceedings.

What is the role of a guardian ad litem in child arrangement cases?

A guardian ad litem is appointed by the court to represent the best interests of a child in some child arrangement cases. They are responsible for investigating and reporting on the child's circumstances, including their wishes and feelings, and making recommendations to the court. The guardian ad litem may also attend court hearings and provide evidence to support their recommendations.

How does the court determine the best interests of the child?

The court determines the best interests of the child by considering various factors such as the child's physical, emotional, and educational needs, the child's age, sex, and background, the likely effect of any changes in the child's circumstances, the child's wishes and feelings, and any harm the child has suffered or is at risk of suffering. The court also considers the capability of each parent to meet the child's needs and the child's relationship with each parent.

What are the rights of grandparents in child arrangement cases?

Grandparents do not have automatic legal rights to see their grandchildren or to be involved in child arrangement cases. However, they can apply for permission to make an application for a child arrangements order, which would allow them to have contact with their grandchildren. The court will consider the best interests of the child when making a decision.

What is supervised visitation and when is it ordered?

Supervised visitation is when a parent is only allowed to see their child under the supervision of a third party, such as a social worker or family member. It is ordered by a court when there are concerns about the safety or well-being of the child during unsupervised visits with the parent. This can be due to issues such as domestic violence, substance abuse, or neglect.

How can I protect my child's best interests during a divorce or child arrangement dispute?

To protect your child's best interests during a divorce or child arrangement dispute you should prioritise their welfare and consider their needs above your own. You should work with your ex-partner to create a parenting plan that outlines how you will share child arrangements and make decisions about your child's upbringing. If you cannot agree, you may need to seek legal advice and involve a family court to make a decision. It is important to communicate openly with your child and ensure they feel supported and loved throughout the process.

What is the difference between a lives with and spends time with order?

A 'live with' order means where the child shall live on a day-to-day basis. This means that both parents shall continue to share parental responsibility. When a 'live with' order is made it is usual for the court to make an order defining the time the child shall spend with the other parent, commonly referred to as 'spending time with' order. This can include defining weekly time and/or extended holiday time.

Our dedicated Family/Divorce team

Jessie McDonald.jpg

Partner and Head of Department, Family/Divorce

Rubina Vohra


Partner and Head of Department, Family/Divorce

Helen Shirbon


Partner, Family/Divorce

Gill Carr

View more

Contact Us

If you have a general enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

0800 689 1058 - Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:00

Request a call back

By submitting your enquiry you agree that Forbes can contact you.

© 2024 Forbes Solicitors is the trading name of Forbes Solicitors LLP Offices in Preston, Manchester, Salford, Blackburn, Blackpool, London and Leeds UK Main Office: Rutherford House, 4 Wellington Street (St Johns), Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 8DD • Vat No: 174 394 344 Forbes Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 816356). Details of the SRA’s Standards and Regulations can be found here. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.