Tenant Support

More about our Tenant Support

Our experienced team understands the complexities of the landlord-tenant relationship and works closely with our clients to achieve the best possible outcome. Forbes Solicitors' tenancy solicitors provide expert legal advice to tenants on a range of issues, tenancy deposit claims, including disrepair claims, eviction proceedings, and deposit protection.

What is a Tenancy Deposit Claim

What is a Tenancy Deposit Claim

A Tenancy Deposit Claim is a legal action that a tenant can take against a landlord if their tenancy deposit has not been properly protected or returned as agreed. It is a way for tenants to get their money back if the landlord is not playing by the rules.

Since the 6th April 2007 landlords who take tenancy deposits in relation to an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ("AST") have to protect them in one of the Government approved schemes and must provide the tenant with 'Prescribed Information' about the deposit scheme.

Landlords must ensure that the prescribed information is fully completed and that the requirements of the deposit protection scheme have been complied with.

Landlords must comply with these requirements within 30 days of receiving the deposit.

Landlords should be aware that failing to comply with deposit protection rules can have serious consequences:

  • The landlord may be prevented from recovering possession of their property by giving a Section 21 Housing Act 1988 notice seeking possession

  • If landlords fail to serve the prescribed information they cannot serve a Section 21 Housing Act 1988 notice seeking possession until the prescribed information has been provided to the tenant.

  • Landlords who fail to protect deposits and provide the prescribed information to their tenants on time can be ordered to pay compensation to their tenants and refund deposits. Landlords may also be liable to pay their tenant's costs of bringing the claim.

Why choose our tenants solicitors?

Why choose our tenants solicitors?

Our tenants solicitors are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services to tenants across the UK. With years of experience in the field, we have a deep understanding of the challenges that tenants face and are committed to protecting their rights. Our team of expert solicitors is highly skilled in all aspects of tenancy law and will work tirelessly to ensure that our clients receive the best possible outcome. We pride ourselves on our professionalism, integrity, and commitment to achieving the best results for our clients. Choose us for reliable, affordable, and effective legal representation.

Who do our solicitors help with tenancy deposit claims?

Our solicitors help tenants who have had their tenancy deposit unfairly withheld or not protected by their landlord.

How can our tenancy deposits claims lawyers help?

Here at Forbes Solicitors our tenancy deposit claims lawyers can help you recover your deposit and any additional compensation you may be entitled to if your landlord has failed to protect your deposit or has made unlawful deductions. We can provide legal advice, negotiate with your landlord or their agent, and represent you in court if necessary. Our goal is to ensure that you receive the full amount of your deposit back and that your rights as a tenant are protected.

Forbes Solicitors provides expert legal services and support for Tenancy Deposit Claims, with offices located in Blackburn, Accrington, Salford, Preston, Manchester, Leeds, and London. Contact us today to speak with our specialists, available to assist clients nationwide.

Tenants FAQs

At Forbes solicitors, we are aware of the trials and tribulations that may come with being a tenant to an unfair landlord, which is why we are here to support any tenants that may be looking to make a claim. As tenancy dispute solicitors, we will ensure that should you have the correct grounds on which to make a claim, it is done so in a professional manner and that you receive the compensation that you deserve. Here are some commonly asked questions that may provide a bit more information about how Forbes Solicitors can help you as a tenant.

What are the fees involved with using tenancy dispute solicitors?

Our solicitor fees for tenancy agreements vary from case to case but please be assured that we operate on a no win no fee basis and endeavour to get the very best results for each and every one of our clients.

Can my landlord increase my rent during my tenancy?

Yes, your landlord can increase your rent during your tenancy, but they must follow certain rules. They must give you at least one month's notice in writing before the increase takes effect, and the increase must be fair and reasonable. If you disagree with the increase, you can negotiate with your landlord or challenge it through a rent assessment committee.

What happens if I can't pay my rent?

If you can't pay your rent, you should speak to your landlord as soon as possible to explain the situation. They may be able to offer a payment plan or come to an agreement with you. If you don't pay your rent, your landlord can take legal action to evict you. This process can take several months and will involve going to court. It's important to seek advice from a housing charity or Citizens Advice if you're struggling to pay your rent.

Can my landlord enter my property without my permission?

No, your landlord cannot enter your property without your permission unless they have given you prior notice and have a valid reason, such as to carry out repairs or inspections. The landlord must also give you reasonable notice and must not enter the property without your consent unless it is an emergency. If your landlord enters your property without your permission or without a valid reason, they may be committing a criminal offence under UK law.

What should I do if I have a problem with my landlord?

If you have a problem with your landlord, you should first try to resolve the issue by speaking to them directly. If this does not work, you can contact your local council or a housing charity for advice. You may also be able to take legal action against your landlord if they are not meeting their legal obligations, such as providing a safe and habitable living environment. It is important to keep records of any communication and evidence of the issue.

How much notice does my landlord have to give me before ending my tenancy?

The amount of notice your landlord has to give you before ending your tenancy depends on the type of tenancy agreement you have. If you have a fixed-term tenancy, your landlord cannot end the tenancy before the end of the fixed term unless you have breached the terms of the agreement. If you have a periodic tenancy, your landlord must give you at least two months' notice in writing. If you have a statutory periodic tenancy, your landlord must give you at least four weeks' notice in writing.

Can my landlord evict me without a reason?

No, a landlord cannot evict a tenant without a valid reason. a landlord must follow the proper legal procedures and obtain a court order before evicting a tenant. The reasons for eviction may include non-payment of rent, breach of tenancy agreement, or the landlord needing to sell or move into the property.

What is a tenancy agreement and what should it include?

A tenancy agreement is a legal contract between a landlord and a tenant that outlines the terms and conditions of the tenancy. It should include details such as the names of the parties involved, the property address, the rent amount and payment schedule, the length of the tenancy, the responsibilities of both parties, and any restrictions or rules that apply. It should also include information on how to end the tenancy and any procedures for resolving disputes.

Can my landlord keep my deposit if I leave the property in good condition?

No, your landlord cannot keep your deposit if you leave the property in good condition. Under UK law, landlords are required to return the deposit to the tenant at the end of the tenancy, provided that the property is left in the same condition as when the tenancy began, with reasonable wear and tear expected. If the landlord wishes to make deductions from the deposit, they must provide evidence of the damage or unpaid rent.

Our dedicated Forbes Landlord Assist team

Georgina Kenny.jpg

Senior Associate, Head of Department, Property Litigation

Georgina Kenny

Amanda Leach.jpg

Paralegal, Property Litigation

Amanda Leach

Contact Us

If you have an enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

0800 689 0831 - Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:00

Request a call back

By submitting your enquiry you agree that Forbes can contact you.

© 2024 Forbes Solicitors is the trading name of Forbes Solicitors LLP Offices in Preston, Manchester, Salford, Blackburn, Blackpool, London and Leeds UK Main Office: Rutherford House, 4 Wellington Street (St Johns), Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 8DD • Vat No: 174 394 344 Forbes Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 816356). Details of the SRA’s Standards and Regulations can be found here. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.