Civil Partnership Dissolution

Our expert divorce and family law solicitors can assist you with the legal side of dissolving a civil partnership.

More about Civil Partnership Dissolution

At Forbes Solicitors, our civil partnership dissolution solicitors provide compassionate and knowledgeable legal guidance to assist with civil partnership dissolution. Ending a civil partnership can be a difficult and emotional process. Our civil partnership solicitors understand that every case is unique, and we work closely with our clients to ensure that their individual needs are met. We are committed to achieving the best possible outcome for our clients in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

What is Civil Partnership Dissolution?

What is Civil Partnership Dissolution?

Civil partnership dissolution is the legal process of ending a civil partnership. In the UK, a civil partnership is similar to marriage, and the dissolution process is similar to divorce.

A civil partnership gives same sex couples the same legal rights pertaining to issues such as tax, pensions, inheritance, state benefits and immigration as are enjoyed by m arried couples.

However, as with marriages, civil partnerships can break down to a point where you, your partner or both of you wish to dissolve the partnership. At Forbes, we understand how emotionally turbulent and challenging this breakdown can be and so we offer compassionate, sympathetic legal support whether you're the one making an application to dissolve the civil partnership (the applicant), or the party answering it (the Respondent).

We can talk you through all of your options and guide you through the process to minimise the stress you're going through at this difficult time. Our expert divorce and family law solicitors can assist with all civil partnership dissolution paperwork as well as helping you and your partner to reach agreements on how property, possessions and money will be divided and as how you'll take care of any children.

Dissolution orders

Dissolution orders

A dissolution order dissolves the civil partnership completely. Before you can apply to the court for a dissolution order, your civil partnership must have lasted at least one year, and you must sign a statement to confirm that your marriage has broken down irretrievably.

The expert team of solicitors at Forbes will be able to guide you through filing an application, obtaining a conditional order and applying for a final order, as well as helping you and your partner agree on the terms of the split. We will also ensure that provision is made to take care of any children and that things are settled in their best interest.



A more rare form of dissolution is an annulment, which means that the civil partnership was never legal. This could happen, for instance, where one or more of the partners was under 16 or was in a civil partnership with or married to someone else. In cases when the court grants an annulment, they may declare your civil partnership:

Void - the civil partnership was never legal and therefore never existed.

Voidable - the civil partnership was legal at the time of registration but is now no longer legal.

If you wish to apply for an annulment, our divorce and family law solicitors can assist you and help you decide whether it's the right course for you or if a dissolution order would be a better option.

As well as offering a compassionate service, Forbes also understands that going through civil partnership dissolution can be a financially stressful time. That's why we offer both a tailored service for private paying clients, and a fixed fee service for more straightforward cases. We also offer legal advice for those eligible for Legal Aid.

If you are going through the breakdown of your civil partnership and want advice on how to proceed, contact one of our divorce and family law solicitors.

Civil Partnership Dissolution FAQs

How do I start the process of dissolving my civil partnership?

To start the process of dissolving a civil partnership you need to complete a dissolution application form on the court portal. You must have been in the partnership for at least one year before you can apply for dissolution. You will also need to pay a court fee unless you are eligible for a fee exemption or reduction.

What is the ground for dissolving a civil partnership?

The ground for dissolving a civil partnership is the same as for divorce. The partnership needs to have irretrievably broken down.

How long does the civil partnership dissolution process take?

The process takes around 6 - 9 months. However, the process may take longer if there are disputes over finances or children.

What is the difference between a civil partnership dissolution and a divorce?

A civil partnership dissolution is the legal process of ending a same-sex partnership, while a divorce is the legal process of ending a marriage between opposite-sex partners. The legal procedures and requirements for each process are slightly different, but both involve the division of assets and arrangements for any children involved. Same-sex couples can also choose to get married instead of entering into a civil partnership.

Can I apply for a civil partnership dissolution if my partner lives abroad?

Yes, you can apply for a civil partnership dissolution if your partner lives abroad. However, the process may be more complicated if your partner is not. You will need to follow the procedures set out by the UK law and may need to seek legal advice to ensure that the dissolution is valid and legally binding.

What happens to our assets and finances during a civil partnership dissolution?

Civil partnership dissolution follows similar rules to divorce. The couple's assets and finances are divided fairly between them, taking into account factors such as the length of the partnership, each partner's financial contributions, and their future needs. This may involve selling property, dividing savings and investments, and making arrangements for any joint debts or liabilities. The court will make a final decision if the couple cannot agree on the division of assets.

Do I need a solicitor to help me with a civil partnership dissolution?

It is not a legal requirement to have a solicitor to help with a civil partnership dissolution, but it is recommended to seek legal advice to ensure that your rights and interests are protected. A solicitor can provide guidance on the legal process, help negotiate settlements, and represent you in court if necessary.

Can I still have contact with my children after a civil partnership dissolution?

Yes, as a parent, you have the right to maintain contact with your children after a civil partnership dissolution. The court will consider the best interests of the children when making decisions about custody and visitation arrangements. It is important to work with your former partner to come to an agreement that works for everyone involved, but if this is not possible, the court can make a decision on your behalf.

What happens if my partner does not agree to the civil partnership dissolution?

If your partner does not agree to the civil partnership dissolution, you will need to apply to the court for a dissolution order. You will need to provide evidence to the court that your relationship has irretrievably broken down. The court will then consider your application and make a decision based on the evidence presented. If the court grants the dissolution order, your civil partnership will be legally dissolved.

Our dedicated Family/Divorce team

Jessie McDonald.jpg

Partner and Head of Department, Family/Divorce

Rubina Vohra


Partner and Head of Department, Family/Divorce

Helen Shirbon


Partner, Family/Divorce

Gill Carr

Contact Us

If you have an enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

0800 689 1058 - Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:00

Request a call back

By submitting your enquiry you agree that Forbes can contact you.

© 2024 Forbes Solicitors is the trading name of Forbes Solicitors LLP Offices in Preston, Manchester, Salford, Blackburn, Blackpool, London and Leeds UK Main Office: Rutherford House, 4 Wellington Street (St Johns), Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 8DD • Vat No: 174 394 344 Forbes Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 816356). Details of the SRA’s Standards and Regulations can be found here.

This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.