Hit and Run Accident Claims

A hit and run accident is a type of vehicle accident in which the driver of a vehicle leaves the scene of the accident without stopping to provide their personal and insurance information.

What is Hit and Run Accident Compensation Claim?

A hit and run accident compensation claim is a legal process by which an individual seeks compensation for damages incurred due to a hit and run accident. This can include medical expenses, lost wages, rehabilitation costs, and other damages. The Claim is usually against the Motor Insurers Bureau.

Hit and run compensation

Hit and run compensation

If you've been injured in a hit and run accident, you may be wondering if you can claim compensation, especially if the driver cannot be traced, the good news is that you can.

At Forbes Solicitors, we understand that hit and run injuries can have a life-changing effect, in most car accidents, compensation for the injuries and loss of earnings can be dealt with from the driver's insurance.

However, in hit and run cases this is not always possible. Not all is lost, the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) provides a scheme to which insurance companies subscribe to cover situations involving untraced drivers. If the driver of the vehicle can be identified and turns out to be uninsured, then MIB effectively step in to act as if they were insured, under the Uninsured Driver's MIB system.

Hit and run compensation claims

Hit and run compensation claims

Hit and run compensation can be claimed from the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB) if the driver responsible cannot be traced or is uninsured. You may be able to claim for injuries you have suffered as well as property damaged caused by the incident.

Whether you have suffered head injuries, broken bones or were involved in a hit and run accident which has tragically resulted in a fatality, our road traffic accident solicitors can help you get the compensation you deserve, so you can access the medical treatment and the rehabilitation you need to move on. As with any road traffic accident, you are free to choose any solicitor you wish, and you do not have to use the services of the firm that your insurance company has recommended.

Whether you are a cyclist, horse rider or a pedestrian, if you have been injured in a hit and run accident that was not your fault, report the incident to the police and contact our experienced hit and run lawyers today on 0800 689 3206.

Hit and run legal advice

Hit and run legal advice

Whether you are looking for advice on pedestrian hit and run compensation or any other type of hit and run claim, our road traffic accident solicitors can help you obtain the compensation you deserve from the MIB or if the driver can be traced - their insurance company, or if they are not insured, through the MIB uninsured scheme. As hit and run accidents fall under personal injury law, you will have three years from the date of the accident to begin your claim. How much compensation you get from a hit and run compensation claim will depend on the level of injuries you have sustained and how much these injuries have left you out of pocket. To get a rough idea of how much you may receive take a look at our hit and run compensation calculator.

If you need legal advice after being accused of a hit and run accident, then speak to our motor offences lawyers and they can help you work out what the best course of action is for your case.

What is a hit and run accident?

What is a hit and run accident?

A hit and run accident is classed as any road traffic accident in which the driver responsible leaves the scene without stopping or giving their contact and insurance details to any other parties involved.

The other party in this case could be another motorist or road user, a pedestrian or someone else's property e.g. a parked vehicle or even a wall or building belonging to someone else. In the UK, it's an offence to leave the scene of an accident without providing contact details or insurance details.

What is the MIB Untraced Driver Scheme?

If, however, the driver cannot be identified or has provided fictitious details or they are untraced, then the MIB Untraced Scheme comes into play. There are however several restrictions. The scheme will not provide cover for any loss that is already insured, i.e. if your vehicle is fully comprehensively covered. If you have private health insurance, or your employers have an arrangement to fund your salary whilst off, those losses probably cannot be recovered because the MIB is regarded as a fund of last resort, and you will be expected to claim under those policies.

There is some debate that this particular clause is in breach of EU Directives but until this is clarified, they appear to remain a fund of last resort. Subject to this, you are entitled to be compensated for your losses as if you were dealing with an insurer, i.e. compensation for your injuries and consequential losses flowing from those injuries and the accident, loss of earnings, travelling expenses, treatment costs, care and support etc.

Conditions of the MIB Untraced Driver Scheme

Conditions of the MIB Untraced Driver Scheme

The MIB impose a number of conditions that must be satisfied before they will accept the claim. Injury claims have to be presented within three years and claims for damage to property or other losses will only be made where there is an award for significant personal injury to someone involved in the accident, which means bodily injury resulting in death, or 2 nights or more of hospital in-patient treatment, or 3 sessions or more of hospital out-patient treatment.

To ensure that hit and run claim cases are genuine, the police also have to be informed as soon as reasonably practicable and there is a requirement to comply with any request for information and cooperate with the MIB. There are lots of other conditions to comply with, but providing that the claim is made quickly, and all the information is available; the claim should be dealt with and the MIB do make a contribution towards legal costs.

Hit and run accidents can cause devastating injuries and even fatalities. At Forbes Solicitors, we can handle your hit and run injury claim on a no win no fee basis - meaning you won't have to pay a penny until your claim is successful.

Hit and Run Accident Claims FAQs

What happens in a hit and run accident?

Under UK law, if a driver drives away without providing their contact or insurance details, the incident is called a hit and run, and it is a criminal act. If you are injured in a hit and run accident and it was not your fault, then you can still make a compensation claim to the MIB. To prove what happened there are a number of things you can do:

  • Ask around for any witnesses and ask if they managed to get the vehicle registration

  • Check any CCTV that is in the vicinity to see if they captured the crash. It is worth noting that you have the legal right to request a copy of the recording of any CCTV

  • Take as many photos as you can of the scene of the accident and of any external injuries you or your passengers may have.

If you want to start your hit and run claim all you need to do is either claim with the MIB directly or contact an expert hit and run solicitor to take care of the formalities for you and help you get the maximum amount of compensation.

Can you claim compensation for a hit and run?

Yes, if you are in a hit and run accident that was not your fault then it is possible to claim compensation even if the driver is uninsured or untraceable. The MIB will compensate for drives that fit into the drivers scheme conditions.

If you wish to make a claim for a hit and run accident you will have three years from the date of the accident to make a claim. If the accident happened when you were under 18, the three years begins from your 18th birthday. It is also possible to claim for a hit and run accident if a loved one was fatally injured.

Our solicitors have years of experience with dealing with hit and run compensation claims, we understand how stressful and life-changing a hit and run accident can be. Contact us today to start your claim on 0800 689 3206.

Our dedicated Personal Injury team

John Bennett.jpg

Partner, Personal Injury

John Bennett

Leonie Millard.jpg

Partner, Clinical Negligence

Leonie Millard

Robin Bower.jpg

Partner, Personal Injury

Robin Bower

Contact Us

If you have an enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

0800 689 0973 - Monday - Friday: 09:00 - 17:00

Request a call back

By submitting your enquiry you agree that Forbes can contact you.

© 2024 Forbes Solicitors is the trading name of Forbes Solicitors LLP Offices in Preston, Manchester, Salford, Blackburn, Blackpool, London and Leeds UK Main Office: Rutherford House, 4 Wellington Street (St Johns), Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 8DD • Vat No: 174 394 344 Forbes Solicitors is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 816356). Details of the SRA’s Standards and Regulations can be found here.

This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.