Phil Blackburn is a Senior Associate and has been instructed in the most serious cases that come before the Crown Court. Phil's main areas of practice see him focus on white collar, corporate crime and serious complex criminal cases.
Phil has enjoyed success in some of the largest and most high-profile cases brought by The State including the Serious Fraud Office, HM Revenue and Customs, Insolvency Service, National Crime Agency, Trading Standards, Environment Agency and Complex Casework arms of the Crown Prosecution Service.
Phil's clients are regularly thankful for his detailed, tenacious and dedicated approach. Phil's experience includes, but is not limited to:
- Money Laundering investigations;
- Confiscation proceedings;
- Unexplained Wealth Orders;
- Corporate fraud;
- Bribery and corruption;
- Terrorism prosecutions;
- Proceedings under the Modern Slavery Act.
Notable cases include:
- Represented main director in proceedings brought by HMRC which concerned the laundering of funds offshore amounting to several hundred million pounds. Phil has a particular interest and talent in the area of abuse of process and this case was no exception. Phil investigated the investigation carried out by HMRC which culminated in Phil convening and chairing a meeting of all legal teams which included some of the most senior white collar lawyers in the land and their counsel (mostly Queens Counsel). Phil compiled and submitted an abuse of process argument amounting to several hundred pages in length. Prior to the matter being listed for full argument, HMRC offered no evidence against Phil's client and a formal verdict of not guilty was recorded;
- Represented an Independent Financial Advisor in one of the infamous 'Film Scheme Tax fraud' cases. The defence team on application persuaded the Judge to stay the prosecution because of an abuse of process;
- Represented Director of company charged with defrauding the revenue by alleged manipulation of the IR35 tax regime. The case concerned the largest amount of companies in history being liquidated on a single day by the High Court. Matter stayed as an abuse of process
- Represented Director of Land banking Investment Company in relation to multi million pound land banking fraud. Acquitted on all counts after trial;
- Represented individual said to have taken part in a conspiracy to evade duty on the importation of several million pounds worth of alcohol and cigarettes. Acquitted on all counts after trial.