Child Law Solicitors

Our specialist children law solicitors can offer expert legal advice to parents, guardians, grandparents and other family members with all aspects of children law. We offer services on both a tailored and fixed fee services.



View more

View less

At Forbes Solicitors, we offer a number of legal services when it comes to child law. Our experienced child law solicitors, who are recommended in the Legal 500, can advise on the following:

  • Child Arrangement Orders
  • Child Maintenance Agreements
  • Child abduction
  • Emergency Protection Orders
  • Parenting Agreements
  • Grandparents Rights
  • Specific issue orders in relation to health and education
  • Local authority childcare proceedings
  • Parental Responsibility Orders

Our children law solicitors can help any family member, whether you are a parent, grandparent, guardian or another family member or friend. We cover a wide range of issues and can offer expert advice on some of the most difficult cases. We're dedicated to ensuring you get the end result that is best for your family and can support you throughout this difficult time when dealing with a minor's circumstances.

Our Children Solicitors are members of the Children's Panel and have been recommended in the Legal 500. As experts in their field, our lawyers can give you tailored child legal advice on an array of issues that fall under child law and the Children Act 2004.

Children law solicitors: Divorce

Often, disputes arise within families regarding where children should live; for example, upon their parents separating. Or, whether the children should have arrangements with the parent that they don't live with. A family disruption can have a huge impact on the wellbeing of a child, so it's important that these situations are handled professionally and with care. Forbes Solicitors have a dedicated team of specialist child law solicitors who can help you get the result you're looking for. When it comes to divorce proceedings, our expert solicitors can help with:

  • Child Arrangements
  • Parenting Arrangements
  • Child abduction
  • Child Maintenance Agreements
  • Mediation

We can also deal with specific issue orders that generally relate to education or health. In many situations, legal cases can be resolved without the need for Court Proceedings and at Forbes Solicitors we will make every effort to do so. We are always mindful of the fact that cases involving children are particularly sensitive and complex. We want to do what's right for all parties involved, especially when the wellbeing of a child is at stake.

At Forbes, our Family, Divorce and Children Law Solicitors are here to help you in any way that we can. Whether you simply require some straightforward child legal advice, a document or letter to be sent or, if necessary, Court Proceedings can be issued.

Do I need a Child Law Solicitor?

When getting divorced if there are children involved, it is always advisable to get the advice of a Child Law Solicitor. While we would always advocate that it's best if the parents can agree on things such as living arrangements between themselves, sometimes this isn't possible, and you may need the help of a mediator or the courts to come to an agreement. Even if you do come to an agreement between yourselves, it is also advisable to get legal advice and to have any arrangements formalised if needed. Our solicitors are highly experienced when it comes to child family law and have an extensive network of mediators, counsellors and other experts who can help make this difficult road smoother.

How much does a Child Law Solicitor cost?

The cost of a Child Law Solicitor depends on the circumstances of your case, what you need from that solicitor and whether you will need to attend Court. If Court Proceedings or Court documents are needed, then you may need to pay Court fees as well as solicitor fees. At Forbes Solicitors, we have both a bespoke service and a fixed fee service for straightforward child law cases. We will also take on Legal Aid cases.

What is a Child Arrangement Order and how are they agreed?

In essence, a child arrangement order is a legal order stating where a child should live and spend time with after their parents have separated. Every child arrangement order is different, and the basis of any decision starts with what is best for the child rather than for the parents.

What is child abduction and what can be done if my child is abducted?

Child abduction, in relation to family law, is when a child under the age of 16 has been taken from the country where they normally reside, to another country by one parent without the consent of the other. If your child has been abducted by your former partner or spouse, then you need to contact the police straight away and also call a child abduction solicitor.

Grandparents Rights

If you have lost touch with a grandchild or are worried you may lose touch with one due to a relationship breakdown or the death of your child, then it is possible for you to apply for a Child Arrangements Order. While grandparents do not have automatic rights under law to have arrangements with grandchildren, the court may consider granting the right to obtain a Child Arrangements Order, if arrangements will be beneficial to the child's wellbeing and won't have a negative effect on family relationships.

Local authority child care proceedings

Our Child Solicitors are here to help if you are faced with local authority child care proceedings. Typically, there can be Legal Aid available for these cases and our specialist solicitors can help you understand the process and get the best possible outcome for your situation. Our solicitors can offer child law advice and ensure that your child's best interests are the priority throughout the case.

If you need child law advice then contact our expert team of child law solicitors today on 0800 689 1058.

Contact Us

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

Call0800 689 1058

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday:
09:00 to 17:00

Saturday and Sunday:

Our dedicated Family/Divorce team

Adrienne Baker

Adrienne Baker




Call01254 580000

Alex Reid

Alex Reid

Solicitor, Family/Children



Call01772 220238

Amy Jones

Amy Jones






Contact Us

If you have a general enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

Call0800 689 1058

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday: 09:00 to 17:00
Saturday and Sunday: Closed