Personal Injury Claims

Our personal injury solicitors handle all types of personal injury claims on a no win no fee basis. If you have been in an accident or suffered a personal injury that wasn't your fault you may be entitled to compensation.



Services for Personal Injury

We provide Personal Injury services in the following areas:

View more

View less

The Personal Injury Solicitors at Forbes handle all types of accident and personal injury claims on a No Win No Fee basis. For a free initial consultation contact one of our specialist solicitors.

If you have been in an accident or suffered a personal injury in the last 3 years that wasn't your fault, you can claim compensation for pain, injury and private medical fees, loss of earnings, travel, accommodation, parking expenses and reimbursement of costs for vehicle hire or repair - by speaking to an accident injury solicitor today.

Common Types of Personal Injury Claims

Common types of accident claims that our Personal Injury Solicitors handle include car and road traffic accidents, whiplash compensation, motor bike accidents, cycling and pedestrian accidents, accidents at work, accidents in shops, supermarkets and slips and trip falls on the street due to unsafe pavements. We also have a specialist team of Medical Negligence Solicitors.

At Forbes our personal injury claims team includes specialist personal injury solicitors and personal injury lawyers who can help you recover your losses. We are recognised by The Law Society Personal Injury Panel, The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers and hold a Legal Service Commission (formerly Legal Aid) franchise for medical and clinical negligence cases. You can be sure that our No Win, No Fee personal injury Solicitors are experts, dedicated to getting the best possible results for accident victims.

Making a personal injury compensation claim could not be easier, we work on a No Win, No Fee basis and offer a free initial consultation, so please contact us today. We are happy to speak to you at your convenience. If you would prefer to see us face to face, please call in at any of our offices, or we can arrange to see you at home, at work or by video link. We have expert personal accident injury Solicitors at each of our offices based in Accrington, Blackburn, Preston and Leeds.

Additional Information

Funding a Personal Injury Claim


The Personal Injury Solicitors at Forbes understand people often think that they simply cannot afford legal advice and that help may be out of their reach. This is simply not true.

We offer free initial advice on your personal injury claim and work with you to ascertain whether you have a case. If we find you have a strong case we will discuss what options you have in regards to pursuing legal action with no obligation to continue your claim with us.

There are many options available for those needing legal advice regarding personal injury claims but the most common and cost effective on a no win, no fee basis.

No Win, No Fee

Forbes Solicitors can offer a range of services but the most common is our no win, no fee service. This means that there is no upfront or on-going cost to you whatsoever as we obtain our fee at the conclusion of the claim. Alternatively, if your case is unsuccessful, you pay nothing.

Our Personal Injury Solicitors will go through the charges involved should your claim be successful and keep you informed every step of the way, explaining any legal jargon.

Private services

Our Personal Injury Solicitors are also able to offer their services via an hourly fee. In this case we will outline all costs involved and discuss how much your claim is likely to cost you.

For more information on our personal injury claim services, contact the experts at Forbes solicitors today.

Contact Us

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

Call0800 689 0973

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday:
09:00 to 17:00

Saturday and Sunday:


How to Claim For Personal Injury

You can usually claim for personal injury compensation if it is possible to establish some fault against another party after an incident which caused you harm or suffering. According to the Law Society, over three million people in the UK are injured in accidents every year. Personal injury law can be very complicated, so it is best to get the help of a qualified solicitor if you wish to claim for a personal injury to help make the claim much more straightforward. Forbes Solicitors work on a no win, no fee basis meaning we will not charge if the case fails. If the case is successful we will claim our costs from the other party and you will only be charged a small success fee. Generally, personal injury claims must be made within three years from the date of the injury. If the accident involved a child, then the three-year rule runs from the child's 18th birthday. There can sometimes be exceptions to this rule; so, for this, it's best to speak to a personal injury solicitor.

To claim for personal injury, your solicitor may need the following information:

  • Date of the accident
  • Where and how it happened
  • Contact details for any witnesses
  • Details of your injuries, medical diagnosis and treatment received
  • They may also ask if you are a member of a trade union or have legal expenses insurance as this may entitle you to free, or reduced-cost, legal representation
  • Any other evidence that could be used to support your claim

If you want to claim for loss of earnings as part of your personal injury claim then your solicitor will need to see proof of your loss and any other financial expenses you may have incurred due to your injury.

You solicitor will be able to help determine if the case is likely to succeed and how much compensation you are likely to get.

Once the solicitor has taken on your case, they will need to do the following:

  • Submit details of the claim to those who are believed to be responsible for your accident. Known as the defendant
  • If necessary, get an expert opinion
  • The defendant should then reply within a fixed period (usually three months) and state whether they accept or deny liability for your injury
  • If they accept liability, your solicitor will aim to settle the matter out of court
  • An offer of compensation is then made by your solicitor. If this is agreed then the case can be settled out of court. It is possible for the defendant's solicitor to make a counter offer; if this happens, your solicitor will advise you of your options
  • If the defendant says they are not liable, the case may have to court and it is then up to a judge to decide who is liable and how much (if any) compensation should be paid
Do I have a personal injury claim?

Providing we can establish at least some fault against another party for your accident your claim should be successful.

For a free consultation call our Personal Injury Solicitors on freephone 0800 689 0973 or contact us by email

Will it cost me anything to claim compensation?

We operate on a No Win No Fee basis, so if your claim is unsuccessful we will not charge you anything. If the claim is successful we will claim our base costs from the other party. For certain cases we may need to charge a success fee out of your damages, but this would be discussed with you in full before your case commences. Please call our help line 0800 689 0973 or click here to request a call back to discuss your claim, alternatively if you would prefer to discuss your claim in person you can call in at any of our offices in Accrington, Blackburn, Preston or Chorley.

Call our freephone and ask for a free consultation with a Personal Injury Solicitor or contact us by email today.

How much compensation will I get for a personal injury claim?

How much you will get from a personal injury compensation claim can vary, depending on the particulars of the case. As a general rule, you should be compensated for all losses caused by the other party's negligence. This may include:

  • Loss of earnings
  • Damage to property
  • Continuing medical expenses
  • Future losses
  • Pain and suffering you have undergone

In regards to your injuries, the amount of compensation will go up in accordance with the severity of the injury or injuries you have sustained. When compensation is taken into account, it is divided into two groups; 'General' and 'Special' damages:

Special damages

Special damages are those which are easily quantifiable, like loss of earnings, medical expenses, taxi fares etc. To be able to be compensated for these expenses, you will need to try to make sure you keep a record, ideally receipts or invoices, of any expenditure you have occurred as a result of your injury.

General Damages

General damages refer to 'damages for pain suffering and loss of amenity (inability to do the things you enjoy) How much you receive will depend on your personal circumstances. Most lawyers and judges will look back at past cases that are similar, to determine the amount of compensation awarded.

How long will it take to get compensation?

It will usually take about 6 months to bring a straightforward personal injury compensation claim to its end. It may take much longer depending on the following:

  • If your injuries are more serious than first thought
  • If the other party (defendant) fails to co-operate
  • If the defendant refuses to accept liability
  • If the case goes to court

Use our Personal Injury Calculator to find out how much compensation you can claim for your injuries. Call our Personal Injury Solicitors for a free consultation on freephone 0800 689 0973 or contact us by email.

What is involved in making a personal injury claim?

To begin with giving us details of the case either in person or over the telephone. Keeping a written record of any losses, receipts where possible and attending a doctors appointment so that a report can be prepared on your injuries.

For a free consultation call our Personal Injury Solicitors on freephone 0800 689 0973 or contact us by email

Will I have to go to court to make a personal injury claim?

You will only have to go to court if the person/persons or company you are holding liable for your injury disputes liability, fails to co-operate or offers an unreasonable settlement. The vast majority of cases are settled out of court.

If your claim does go to court, a solicitor may need to do the following:

  • Appoint a barrister
  • Send you for a medical examination to an independent medical expert
  • They must serve proceedings on the defendant, together with the medical evidence to support your claim
  • The defendant will then serve their defence
  • If it's not possible to settle, the case will then go to trial. The court will provide both sides with directions for the case (i.e a timetable for disclosure of evidence)
  • It will be up to the judge to decide the outcome of the case and what, if any, compensation will be awarded
  • Personal injury cases are decided by a judge and not a jury

Call our Personal Injury Solicitors for a free consultation on freephone 0800 689 0973, or contact us by email

Do I have the choice to go to any solicitor to bring my claim or must I go where my insurers or brokers tell me?

You can use any solicitor you choose.

At Forbes Solicitors we handle accident and personal injury claims on a No Win No Fee basis. Call our Personal Injury Solicitors for a free consultation on freephone 0800 689 0973 or contact us by email

If the accident happened at work will I lose my job?

No. All employers are insured by law and it is against the law to discourage or threaten or even suggest that your position at work will be affected.

To find out more call our Personal Injury Solicitors for a free consultation on freephone 0800 689 0973 or contact us by email

Does it matter if I am self employed and injured at work?

No. This is a common misunderstanding. If someone else is negligent you have a claim.

For more information call freephone 0800 689 0973 and ask for a free consultation with a Personal Injury Solicitor or contact us by email

Is it too late to claim compensation?

You have 3 years from the date of the accident or 3 years from the date of knowledge of the circumstances giving rise to the claim. Children and those under a disability have much longer in which to claim.

If you would like a free consultation please call freephone 0800 689 0973 and ask to speak with a Personal Injury Solicitor or contact us by email

I have a complaint against the Police or other public authority - what can I do?

Many complaints can be dealt with by the use of the Police's own complaints procedure, and indeed this is a pre-requisite to many claims against the Police. Generally this involves setting out the complaint to the Constabulary's head office which should then either investigate internally or refer the matter to the Independent Police Complaints Commission to investigate. Common complaints to the Police are matters such as damage to property during a search, loss of items of property whilst under Police control, or acting in an unprofessional manner.

At Forbes we deal with a wide variety of different Actions Against Detaining Authorities, including but not limited to the following:

  • False Imprisonment
  • Malicious Prosecution
  • Assault/Trespass
  • Negligence
  • Personal Injury

False Imprisonment occurs when a person is deprived of their liberty without lawful reason or excuse. This often occurs when a person is arrested without reasonable suspicion that an offence has been committed, or where they are detained by somebody other than a Police Officer (e.g. a security guard) when no offence has actually been committed. Sometimes people are imprisoned but detained longer than ordered by the Court due to a miscalculation of release dates or incorrect drafting of the court order itself.

Malicious Prosecution occurs when a person is subjected to a prosecution for a crime out of malice or spite by the prosecuting authority. Such cases are very rare, except where deliberate falsification of evidence can be proved. The prosecution must have terminated in favour of the person claiming malicious prosecution, either by acquittal or the case being thrown out, and it must be proved that the prosecution maliciously pursued the case without grounds for doing so.

Assault and trespass covers any situation where a person has touched a person or property without lawful authority. Many of these cases arise out of a period of abuse but there are other situations when they may occur, such as the unlawful entry on to property resulting in damage.

Negligence arises when there is a breach of a duty of care resulting in loss. Duties of care come about in many situations, usually when somebody's actions could foreseeably result in a loss to another person. The Personal Injury department deals with most types of negligence claim, but there are other situations which come within the AADA remit. Examples include the failure by a court to notify the Police of a change in bail conditions, with the result that a person is arrested for breach of bail conditions which no longer exist or have been changed, or the failure by the Police to update the Police National Computer to reflect accurate information resulting in loss.

Personal Injuries sustained at work, on the road, or on public or private property will be dealt with by the Personal Injury Department. However, injuries can also be sustained during an arrest or whilst in prison. These claims can arise on their own or become part and parcel of another claim, such as false imprisonment.

We operate a Community Legal Services franchise which allows cases to be funded by Legal Aid, subject to satisfaction of the financial eligibility and case merits criteria. In some cases we can offer a Conditional Fee Agreement (No Win No Fee Agreement) in the alternative.

Need more help?

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

Call0800 689 0973

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Our Reviews

Our dedicated Personal Injury team

Partner, Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury Solicitor

John Bennett


Personal Injury


Call01254 872111

Associate Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury Solicitor

Leonie Millard


Clinical Negligence


Call01254 770517

Partner and Personal Injury Solicitor, Blackburn

Robin Bower


Personal Injury


Call01254 222356


Useful Information


When Contributory Negligence is Applied with Minors

27 Sep 2021

A look at when contributory negligence might be applied with children

Read more

Contact Us

If you have a general enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

Call0800 689 0973

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday: 09:00 to 17:00
Saturday and Sunday: Closed