Tenancy Deposit Claims



Forbes Solicitors' tenancy solicitors provide expert legal advice to tenants on a range of issues, tenancy deposit claims, including disrepair claims, eviction proceedings, and deposit protection. Our experienced team understands the complexities of the landlord-tenant relationship and works closely with our clients to achieve the best possible outcome.

What is a Tenancy Deposit Claim

A Tenancy Deposit Claim is a legal action that a tenant can take against a landlord if their tenancy deposit has not been properly protected or returned as agreed. It is a way for tenants to get their money back if the landlord is not playing by the rules.

Since the 6th April 2007 landlords who take tenancy deposits in relation to an Assured Shorthold Tenancy ("AST") have to protect them in one of the Government approved schemes and must provide the tenant with 'Prescribed Information' about the deposit scheme.

Landlords must ensure that the prescribed information is fully completed and that the requirements of the deposit protection scheme have been complied with.

Landlords must comply with these requirements within 30 days of receiving the deposit.

Landlords should be aware that failing to comply with deposit protection rules can have serious consequences:

  • The landlord may be prevented from recovering possession of their property by giving a Section 21 Housing Act 1988 notice seeking possession
  • If landlords fail to serve the prescribed information they cannot serve a Section 21 Housing Act 1988 notice seeking possession until the prescribed information has been provided to the tenant.
  • Landlords who fail to protect deposits and provide the prescribed information to their tenants on time can be ordered to pay compensation to their tenants and refund deposits. Landlords may also be liable to pay their tenant's costs of bringing the claim.

Why choose our tenants solicitors?

Our tenants solicitors are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services to tenants across the UK. With years of experience in the field, we have a deep understanding of the challenges that tenants face and are committed to protecting their rights. Our team of expert solicitors is highly skilled in all aspects of tenancy law and will work tirelessly to ensure that our clients receive the best possible outcome. We pride ourselves on our professionalism, integrity, and commitment to achieving the best results for our clients. Choose us for reliable, affordable, and effective legal representation.

Who do our solicitors help with tenancy deposit claims?

Our solicitors help tenants who have had their tenancy deposit unfairly withheld or not protected by their landlord.How can our tenancy deposits claims lawyers help?Here at Forbes Solicitors our tenancy deposit claims lawyers can help you recover your deposit and any additional compensation you may be entitled to if your landlord has failed to protect your deposit or has made unlawful deductions. We can provide legal advice, negotiate with your landlord or their agent, and represent you in court if necessary. Our goal is to ensure that you receive the full amount of your deposit back and that your rights as a tenant are protected.

Forbes Solicitors provides expert legal services and support for Tenancy Deposit Claims, with offices located in Blackburn, Accrington, Salford, Preston, Manchester, Leeds, and London. Contact us today to speak with our specialists, available to assist clients nationwide.

Contact Us

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

Call0800 689 0831

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday:
09:00 to 17:00

Saturday and Sunday:

Tenancy FAQs

At Forbes solicitors, we are aware of the trials and tribulations that may come with being a tenant to an unfair landlord, which is why we are here to support any tenants that may be looking to make a claim. As tenancy dispute solicitors, we will ensure that should you have the correct grounds on which to make a claim, it is done so in a professional manner and that you receive the compensation that you deserve. Here are some commonly asked questions that may provide a bit more information about how Forbes Solicitors can help you as a tenant.

As a solicitors dealing with tenancy issues, what are the type of disputes that you are experienced in dealing with?

At Forbes, we have experience dealing with a number of tenancy issues and disputes and always do so with the utmost professionalism. If you are a tenant that is experiencing dispute with your landlord, the issues that arise can take your home from a place of sanctuary to a place of unease and anxiety - especially if you are not at fault. It is the responsibility of a landlord to ensure that the property they are renting to their tenants is in good condition and adheres to all heath and safety guidelines. They are responsible for dealing with any repairs should there be a need for them, and these should be carried out within a specific time frame. At the same time, the tenant is expected to pay rent to the landlord on time and look after the property.

Unfortunately, it is not always this straightforward and there are times where a tenancy solicitor is needed to ensure that each party is rewarded with exactly what they deserve. We have had years of experience in dealing with issues from both landlords and tenants and pride ourselves on being able to produce a solicitor approved tenancy agreement which clearly outlines exactly what is expected from both parties, to prevent any issues occurring further down the line. However, unfortunately, issues do still come into play. If you are a tenant or a landlord and find that the other party is not adhering to the agreements in the solicitor approved tenancy agreement, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with Forbes solicitors where our professional team can help you towards justice.

How can I attain a solicitor approved tenancy agreement?

We believe that by providing a solicitor approved tenancy agreement early on in the rental process, we can endeavour to prevent any issues occurring further down the line. Our agreements are clear and concise and we think every agreement through carefully to ensure that everything is understood fully by both parties. If you are a landlord that is about to take on tenants, it is advised you seek the help of Forbes Solicitors who can draft a professional agreement for you. Simply get in touch with our professional team to discuss your situation and we can take it from there. Being a landlord is a fantastic source of income and can be greatly rewarding - just make sure that you are prepared in the best possible way.

I am a landlord and having issues with my tenants – how can Forbes help me?

We understand how devastating housing and tenancy issues can be for a landlord and during such a distressing time, we want to help. Common problems that landlords can have with tenants include damages to the property, rent arrears, noise complaints, disputes with the neighbours and a refusal to vacate the property once the tenancy has ended. All of these issues can be stressful for an owner of a property, but at Forbes, we're here to ensure that the right solution is found.

As solicitors dealing with tenancy issues for a number of years, we know the best practice when it comes to dealing with troublesome tenants and ensure that all of our clients adhere to the law, whilst also achieving the outcome they deserve. If you would like to evict a tenant from the property, for example, this must be done properly to avoid yourself becoming criminalised in the process.

If you would like to discuss your case with a professional, you can call Forbes today. A professional member of our tenancy team will listen to your individual case and provide sound, pragmatic advice on how to take it forward.

What are the fees involved with using tenancy dispute solicitors?

Our solicitor fees for tenancy agreements vary from case to case but please be assured that we operate on a no win no fee basis and endeavour to get the very best results for each and every one of our clients.

Can my landlord increase my rent during my tenancy?

Yes, your landlord can increase your rent during your tenancy, but they must follow certain rules. They must give you at least one month's notice in writing before the increase takes effect, and the increase must be fair and reasonable. If you disagree with the increase, you can negotiate with your landlord or challenge it through a rent assessment committee.

What happens if I can't pay my rent?

If you can't pay your rent, you should speak to your landlord as soon as possible to explain the situation. They may be able to offer a payment plan or come to an agreement with you. If you don't pay your rent, your landlord can take legal action to evict you. This process can take several months and will involve going to court. It's important to seek advice from a housing charity or Citizens Advice if you're struggling to pay your rent.

Can my landlord enter my property without my permission?

No, your landlord cannot enter your property without your permission unless they have given you prior notice and have a valid reason, such as to carry out repairs or inspections. The landlord must also give you reasonable notice and must not enter the property without your consent unless it is an emergency. If your landlord enters your property without your permission or without a valid reason, they may be committing a criminal offence under UK law.

What should I do if I have a problem with my landlord?

If you have a problem with your landlord, you should first try to resolve the issue by speaking to them directly. If this does not work, you can contact your local council or a housing charity for advice. You may also be able to take legal action against your landlord if they are not meeting their legal obligations, such as providing a safe and habitable living environment. It is important to keep records of any communication and evidence of the issue.

How much notice does my landlord have to give me before ending my tenancy?

The amount of notice your landlord has to give you before ending your tenancy depends on the type of tenancy agreement you have. If you have a fixed-term tenancy, your landlord cannot end the tenancy before the end of the fixed term unless you have breached the terms of the agreement. If you have a periodic tenancy, your landlord must give you at least two months' notice in writing. If you have a statutory periodic tenancy, your landlord must give you at least four weeks' notice in writing.

Can my landlord evict me without a reason?

No, a landlord cannot evict a tenant without a valid reason. a landlord must follow the proper legal procedures and obtain a court order before evicting a tenant. The reasons for eviction may include non-payment of rent, breach of tenancy agreement, or the landlord needing to sell or move into the property.

What is a tenancy agreement and what should it include?

A tenancy agreement is a legal contract between a landlord and a tenant that outlines the terms and conditions of the tenancy. It should include details such as the names of the parties involved, the property address, the rent amount and payment schedule, the length of the tenancy, the responsibilities of both parties, and any restrictions or rules that apply. It should also include information on how to end the tenancy and any procedures for resolving disputes.

Can my landlord keep my deposit if I leave the property in good condition?

No, your landlord cannot keep your deposit if you leave the property in good condition. Under UK law, landlords are required to return the deposit to the tenant at the end of the tenancy, provided that the property is left in the same condition as when the tenancy began, with reasonable wear and tear expected. If the landlord wishes to make deductions from the deposit, they must provide evidence of the damage or unpaid rent.

Need more help?

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

Call0800 689 0831

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Our dedicated Forbes Landlord Assist team

Georgina Kenny

Georgina Kenny

Senior Associate, Head of Property Litigation

Business Dispute Resolution


Call0161 9180006

Amanda Leach

Amanda Leach

Paralegal, Property Litigation

Business Dispute Resolution

PinCentral Lancashire

Call01254 222326

Contact Us

If you have a general enquiry then please fill in your details and someone will contact you.

Call0800 689 0831

CallRequest a call back

EmailSend us an email

Contacting Us

Monday to Friday: 09:00 to 17:00
Saturday and Sunday: Closed