How do I know which court will deal with my case?

Basically there are three different types of cases.

  1. Summary offences are criminal offences which can only be dealt with by the Magistrates, for example driving with excess alcohol, minor assaults, criminal damage etc
  2. Offences triable either way are ones that can be dealt with by the Magistrates Court such as assault occasioning actual bodily harm, theft or possessing controlled drugs. In these cases the Magistrates may agree to deal with you or direct that you be dealt with at the Crown Court. If the Magistrates are prepared to deal with the case, then you have a "right of election" to decide whether the case is dealt with summarily by the Magistrates or committed to Crown Court for trial by jury.
  3. Indictable only cases. These are cases that can only tried "on indictment" at the Crown Court before a judge and jury such as any conspiracy, robbery, manslaughter or murder.


Get in touch

Get in touch to see how our experts could help you.

0800 689 3206

19 Oct 2017



Forbes Solicitors celebrates 44 Legal 500 Recommendations

Forbes Solicitors is celebrating after receiving 44 recommendations for its lawyers and services in the 2017…

Read the article

Both Daniel King and Craig Liversidge are 'superb, accomplished, well-respected and highly skilled'.

2018 - 19 Edition Legal 500

More clients

The 'experienced team' at Forbes Solicitors has a 'well-established reputation for excellent client care'.

2018 - 19 Edition Legal 500

More clients

Make an enquiry